Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Presentations and My future presentation

I would like to take this blog entry to talk about some of the presentations from the semester that I particularly enjoyed.

First of all, Kit did a great job discussing the elements of new media and sports. This is a very interesting topic to me personally because I was an intern with the Washington Nationals marketing department, and I know they have devoted time to promotion via facebook and twitter. Kit did an excellent job showing the effects that new media has on marketing of teams, but also athletes lack of discretion via new media platforms. Good work Kit.

Although many were not in class to see it, Tory did a terrific job presenting about youtube and fame. I had some prior knowledge of youtube phenoms such as Justin Beiber and the guy (?) who threw a tantrum defending Britney Spears, but Tory gave some knew examples, and even added that she was contemplating an attempt at fame via youtube as well. Youtube is one of my favorite sites on the internet and is a great use of new media technology, and this presentation showed the influence that new media now has on pop culture.

Meghan's presentation on licence plate recognition was really interesting and clearly well researched. It showed how new media can affect law enforcement in a positive way. It was amazing to see how far the technology has come. Well done Meghan.

I was impressed with all of your presentations, whether I mentioned them or not. This brings me to my next point... does anyone have any ideas they would like to give me for my presentation. I am the last one to present and the options are limited. I have a few ideas, but any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks in advance.

-Will

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your compliment Will! I'm not sure if you have chosen a topic yet but I think it would be interesting if you did a presentation on Twitter. It is a big name social networking site we are all familiar with, however many of us have admitted we do not use this site ourselves. I think it would be interesting if you gave us a little more information about this networking site and then addressed a way in which Twitter is important to our culture. For example, how Twitter has changed the traditional ideas of breaking news because it is so instantaneous! I'm not sure if this is of interest to you but I figured I'd throw something out there anyways! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Will, that's really nice of you! As far as your presentation goes...I was going to do mine originally on Social Dating Sites like eHarmony and Match, Zoosk or whatever that one is called. I thought it would be interesting to see the stats of how many people are actually married or have found love on those sites...and I think it also says something about social media and participatory culture. I'm sure with a little research you could find if those sites linked to blogs or twitters (i'm sure they do). I think it'd be an interesting topic if you were really desperate for one!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete