Thursday, October 21, 2010

Facebook Birthdays

Since today is my 22nd birthday, I'd like to take some time to talk about something positive Facebook brings to everyone, birthday recognition. I really do enjoy getting wall posts for my birthday and I know that if it wasn't for facebook, I would have no idea when anyone's birthday is, and a lot of people would have no idea when mine was either. I have a few thoughts on some of the posts i've gotten so far today:

I'm pretty sure some people just automatically write happy birthday on their "friends" wall regardless of their relationship to the person. For example, one of the first posts I got this morning said "Happy Birthday!" from a girl who I am not sure if I have ever met her, and if I have, I don't remember where or when. Nice gesture I suppose. Secondly, I think its interesting to get a post from someone you haven't talked to in like 8 years. Once again, nice gesture, but kind of random. Thirdly, I really appreciate the funny/personalized ones. It's really easy to just write happy birthday, but I like it when someone throws in an inside joke or something, it's a lot more meaningful that way.

I remember on my first facebook birthday how excited I was to get all these wall posts, and I think I tried to respond to all of them, but it just takes forever. Now I think the common thing to do is to make a status "Thanks for all the birthday wishes!" or something along those lines. In fact, I'll probably put up that status later today.

On the reverse side of things, I am a very inconsistent facebook birthday wall poster. I probably should write happy birthday on people's walls more often because it really is a nice thing to do, but I always forget. So sorry if your reading this and I didn't post on your wall, I'll try harder next birthday

I bet a lot of you guys feel the same way about these points I've brought up, and honestly I love the fact that facebook has basically revolutionized birthdays. People actually know when its your birthday now, and its an easy way to hear from a ton of people at once. A lot of negative attention is put on facebook, but I am glad to be able to share a little way that facebook has brightened my day

4 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point, it seems that different news outlets focus on the negatives of facebook but facebook does do a decent job of keeping people in touch even if it is just once a year for your birthday. It's funny because I think we all went through trying to respond to everyone on our first facebook birthday and like you said now most people just do the status thing. Also...Happy late Birthday (Yeah I am one of those unoriginal facebook birthday posters).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! Birthday wished are a nice gesture, but many of them are essentially meaningless. I've always thought that you should be able to send them from your Homepage without even having to click on their profile, and post on their wall. Sort of like a "Wish Happy Birthday" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the wish happy birthday button idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like this button idea. But yes Will, I totally agree with you. I don't even know some of my best friends Birthdays. Facebook birthday alerts and others are great for us with add. I could be told a birthday a million times but without facebook the wish would never be given.

    ReplyDelete